Strengthening the Body – Expanding the Community
– 1 Corinthians 12:4-6
In his letter to the Corinthians the Apostle Paul compares the human body with the Body of Christ, pointing out that “Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ (1 Cor 12:12). He goes on to speak of the various parts and their roles in maintaining a healthy Body. At NVCA we have adopted Paul’s metaphor of the body and applied it to accomplish our mission of developing discerning young adults to reach their full potential in scholarship, leadership, and service in order to influence their community and the world for Christ.”
In a real sense, the NVCA community is a body within the Body of Christ. Its members include teachers, parents, staff members, Board members, and other family members such as grandparents. Within our community reside a variety of gifts. When they are identified and utilized, these gifts can provide strength and sustainability to our school. This is where NVCA SERVE comes in.
NVCA SERVE is a volunteer organization made up of all parts of the NVCA community — parents, teachers, staff members, Board members, and other family members — with the purpose of building and strengthening NVCA by leveraging the gifts of its members. It is designed to promote a culture of caring, community involvement, and Christian fellowship. SERVE activities include:
- sponsoring events
- encouraging communication among community members
- disseminating information
- enlisting volunteers for class and school functions
- other activities and functions as identified
Organization and Leadership
SERVE is managed by a Leadership Team, comprising a Director, Deputy Director, Treasurer, and Committee Chairs. The Team reports to the Head of School and is responsible to carry out the purpose of SERVE in accordance with the policies of the NVCA Board and the Head of School. In general, the Leadership Team is authorized to:
- maintain a separate SERVE account within the NVCA charts of account designated for support of SERVE activities.
- establish and collect fees for general activities and special events and deposit the fees in the SERVE account;
- approve expenditures from the SERVE account;
- form committees to:
- carry out recurring functions,
- plan and manage events, and
- enlist volunteers as needed;
- establish and publish SERVE policies and practices consistent with Board and Head of School policies.
In carrying out its duties, the Leadership Team will be accountable for:
- maintaining a register of all SERVE members;
- allocating responsibilities;
- balancing the workload among members; and
- managing activities, functions, and events efficiently and effectively.
Expectations of SERVE Members
As mentioned above, we relate with the Apostle Paul’s likening the Body of Christ with the human body, comprising many parts with multiple roles. We see SERVE as a way for its members to assume the roles and exercise their gifts to strengthen the NVCA body and help it grow. We recognize that gifts and talents are not equally distributed. Similarly, the time available to give to SERVE sponsored functions and activities will vary with each member. For example, while we believe many SERVE members can assist with their time and talents, others may prefer to donate to SERVE financially. Our goal is to have all members contribute their time, talents, or treasure to SERVE during the school year. To that end and to assist the Leadership Team in understanding how best to draw on the SERVE members, at the beginning of the school year each SERVE member will be asked to complete and submit an Availability to SERVE Form (link below).
For additional information, contact SERVE@northvalleyca.org.